Categories: tank movies
Running time: 85 minutes
The Tanks Are Coming is movie presenting the story of American tank platoon during their fight after the Allied landing in Normandy. The crews of M4 Sherman tanks are dealing with heavy German tanks and often donít even get the chance to damage them, not to mention destroying them. But the superiority in number of tanks tanks and the morale of their crews helped them get through German lines, even the Siegfried Line.
The movie is a tribute to brave American tankmen that fought the desperate battles against German heavy tanks (Tigers and Panthers). Unfortunately the movie was done in a sloppy way with plenty of historical inaccuracies, such as:
- no German tanks used in the film,
- wrong type of American tank used (M46 Patton to imitate M26 Pershing),
- using M26 Pershing look-alike at all, since that tank was put in action in 1945,
- laughable reconstruction of Siegfried Line (the Dragonís teeth should be at least twice the size)
- really weak German fortifications (in reality they were usually using a combination of at least few guns to stop the tanks or at least tried to camouflage their positions),
- the use of parts clearly taken from different movies (real World War 2 footage) mixed between the scenes.
All of it makes The Tanks Are Coming seems almost like parody of war movie or on the level of some Italian productions. Iím sure the creators meant well, but the final effect of their efforts is rather poor.
3 / 10
1 / 5
2 / 5
1 / 5
Robert Hardy Andrews
as Francis Sullivan
as Lieutenant Rawson
as Danny Kolowicz
as Sergeant Lemchek
as George Eisenhower
as Sergeant Tucker
as Colonel Matthews
as Patricia Kane